ATM meeting 2 - march 24
In this workshop we looked at the following ideas:
- We started with a visual proof of Pythagoras, using pieces of wood cut using a laser cutter. We discussed using geometric ideas instead of algebra to solve a problem.
- Following this, we investigated a lesson I had created on group theory and symmetry using some more wooden pieces.
- Time was short, so we briefly had a look at symmetry in platonic solids using a gobstopper and some 3D kaleidoscopes that I made.
- We also made a dodecahedron using molecular modelling straws.
- Steve then showed us a great idea for making folding revision notes.
I gave everyone a piece of mirrored acrylic - we are going to have a go at making a 3D kaleidoscope for homework and bring it to the next session!
We all agreed to meet again in June after the exams - if you would like to come please let me know.
Here are some photos from the event: